Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Birthday Season

Tis the season..for birthdays! It seems like sometimes we have one or two a weekend for months and then none for a long, long time.  I just wanted to post some pictures from ones over the last few months.  First we have Justin and Shelby's 4th birthdays.  Chloe was watching Buzz and Belle do some party games.  Lots of people have princesses, pirates, fairies, etc come and entertain at the birthday parties. Chloe is completely mesmerized by all of them.
Justin and Chloe partaking in a magic show at Joey's 2nd birthday.  I was surprised to see her actually raising her hand to volunteer.
I love this picture because Chloe pretty much thinks Eva's birthday is the same as hers and placed herself right in the center of the action. She probably tried to blow the candles out as well.
We didn't get to too many kid's birthday parties in the US before we moved but I had certainly never heard of Pass the Parcel.  First of all, us Americans say package, not parcel! Pass the parcel is a game where you pass the present, parcel...gift (whatever) around the circle until the music stops.  Each time the music stops a child opens one layer of wrapping.  To appease the demands of toddlers/preschoolers there is usually a small gift or a chocolate between each layer of paper. The last person to unwrap the last layer is the winner of a bigger gift.
It's fun...but what happened to Pin the Tail on the Donkey?! Duck Duck Goose? Red Rover?! How fun would it be to have an "Old School" birthday party? Sack races, homemade cakes (oh wait- some moms do actually bake their own cakes...oops).
I digress....
Time for Ella's first birthday! She had a beautiful ladybug (aka ladybird in these parts) birthday theme.
Look at this little munchkin's smash cake. First I have heard of a smash cake, btw. 
Chloe continues with her face paint addiction. She usually opts for something random...ladybugs, sharks, a puppy dog. I do like the painted on tongue!
I love this picture of our rag tag bunch of kids with their babies and their 'trollies.' Chloe is certainly picking up some new terminology living Down Under.
Here we go again. Little Chloe (Luke's sister and friend Leanne's daughter) turned two and a fairy and pirate helped to celebrate. Chloe wanted a butterfly and boy can she sit still for the painting. No such luck with hair combing, getting dressed, etc.
Onto a pirate treasure hunt!
We always joke that the exact same food is served at each and every birthday party. Here is the menu:
1.  Meat pies and sausage rolls
2.  Fairy Bread (white bread with butter and sprinkles on top
3.  pink and white large marshmallows
4.  Lollies (aka gummy snakes and other treats)
5. Crisps (aka chips)
So there you have it! Know you know how to throw a birthday party the Aussie way!

2 comments:

Matt and Brynn Hodder said...

Oh my goodness. I love it. All that you said is so true! I love the terminology of parties here. We've also played a new game called "What's the time Mr. Wolf?" Chloe would surely love it. Looks like the parties are super fun. We just went to the most "american-like" party over here a few weeks ago. Most of the time it is basic and homemade and home fun. Interesting what the norms are in different parts of the world. I'm assuming Chloe eats vegemite being as young as she was when she got here. Not mine. They know to stay far away from that stuff!

Kelly said...

I think Chloe's next birthday should be a good old fashioned American birthday party! Your Aussie friends will get a kick out of it:)