Chloe with Dr. Millie taking a ride in a wheelchair.
Turns out I was the only nerdy mom that brought Chloe in to experience the activities during one of her non-daycare days. I thought it was very important for her to see everything for a few reasons...
She will soon be hanging with me and our new baby at the hospital (you stay a loooooong time her in Oz) and I want her to feel comfortable there.
and...
I was never very comfortable in hospitals or even around disabled people growing up...only because of lack of exposure. I want Chloe to know compassion and empathy. I don't want her to be scared of people who are different than she is.
Chloe trying out the crutches.
Last October when we were home in Texas, Chloe got to meet Mindy's nephew Travis at his rehabilitation center. Chloe was VERY interested in Travis and talked about him for weeks and weeks afterwards. I was so proud of her interactions with him and how she really recalled all of our prayers for Travis and connected it all together.
Chloe and Therzia giving Sick Dolly medicine, taking her temperature, and bandaging her sore arm.
They showed the kids a video about a boy who fell out of a tree and broke his arm. Chloe was OBSESSED with it for days after. "But Mommy, why he fall out of the tree?" "Did that boy cry when his arm broke?" "WHY did he fall?".......
During a couple years of teaching, I volunteered at Texas Children's Hospital to accumulate hours towards a Child Life Specialist degree. I thought it would be such a neat job to use play to help make the child patients more comfortable when undergoing different procedures. I never made the switch in professions but this day reminded me of how important it is to expose children to the medical world early.



1 comments:
Oh my LOVE...as I was reading the first part of this post, I was thinking about Sweet Chloe and how she was so sweet to Travis that day. Then you talked about it. I think about this "exposure" thing all the time. Chloe doesn't stand a chance not having empathy for others...YOU, my friend, have it and it IS carrying over in Chloe. I love you so much and I love your recent posts...Bali and swim lessons, etc. Chloe already swims better than me;) Miss you, my love!
Post a Comment