Friday, July 3, 2009

An Odd 4th in Oz







Last weekend we celebrated July 4th. Yep...on June 28th. The American Women's Club put on an event with music, old American cars, a petting zoo, a chili cook off, bouncy castles, food from USA Foods.com, and even Crispy Creme Doughnuts (25$ a dozen!) flown in from Melborne that morning.
It rained...And rained.
No doughnuts by the time we arrived.
Overall, it just felt weird. Cold and rainy. Not humid and sunny. An Australian marching band playing patriotic American songs, small packs of Crystal Light mix for $10 a pack, and more Australians than Americans in attendance. That's another funny thing about Oz. There really aren't many random Americans. I know a lot of Americans but that is from the clubs I am in. You never really just hear an American accent when you are shopping, eating out, etc. When people ask about my accent they always assume I am Canadian. Funny.
Chloe did like the little animals once she got over her initial fear of the lambs. Mostly I just wanted BBQ. As we were leaving I told this to Marc. He said, "oh, we can go pick up some sausages and BBQ." Not what I meant. I want some Goode Company RIBS!
Even though I wasn't really 'feelin the 4th' (thank you, Mindy)...I am still so PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN from all the way across the world. I am thankful for my freedom of speech and religion and am forever grateful for those who made it possible.




5 comments:

Kelly said...

The weather is certainly going to mess with your holidays. When I first moved south it was difficult to Christmas shop and decorate at 70 degrees! I was used to 20 degrees with snow and ice. The fourth here was HOT. 101 degrees and not a cloud to be found. Hope you rain stops soon! ~k

MLP said...

Interesting 4th, my love!!! Miss you like crazy!

Mandy said...

I LOVE that you have all these different takes on holidays there. It is only a short, short time my friend! Remember that! You will have these amazing memories and experiences that none of us will ever have. You shouldn't miss the 102 heat here on July 4th. It's HORRIBLE!!! Love and miss you.

Unknown said...

I certainly missed you down in Rockport! Remember all of the fun times that we had down there on the 4th of July! My mom's toe is finally healed!

Paola said...

What a crazy 4th!