Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I've Created a Monster...A Cookie Monster!







For the first twelve months of Chloe's life, I had a strict no TV policy. Okay, a minute or two of Baby Einstein here and there but really no TV. Finally I hit a wall. I needed a break. Just ten or fifteen minutes to get dinner on the table or get something done. My mom convinced me that TV is not bad; it's just a matter of watching purposeful programs for a short length of time.She told me I learned so much from Sesame Street when I was little.
I know there are a lot of Elmo fans out there. I'm just not one of them. Especially after I saw Elmo's "voice guy" being interviewed on Oprah. He is a large, African American male. That weirds me out. So...I found Sesame Street Old School 1969-1979 at the Perth Border's. It rocks. Bell bottoms, Bill Cosby, Mr. Snufalufagus....it's all goood. The best was in one clip (the real life clips they have in between puppet clips) the farmer was herding sheep and SMOKING! ON SESAME STREET. Funny stuff.
Anyway...Chloe took to it immediately. She loves it. We still limit her "addiction" to no more than 30 minutes a day but it helps a mama out. Lately I have been a bit worried that she might like those puppets a bit too much. She cries for Bi Buuud (Big Bird) when I put her down for a nap. She carries dancing Cookie Monster around the house. And when we took her to the video store to rent a movie for mom and dad, she stopped at the children's section...pointed at Elmo's Bedtime Video (how did she know he is related to them!?) and did a little squealing dance. She loves her Pampers with Sesame Street characters on them (little does she know we are down to our last USA box). No Pampers in Oz. :( I wanted her to be pure of TV hype for as long as possible. But it was inevitable. Alas...just wait until she meets Dora!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it. I am an Elmo fan (but I also love Telly and Grover and Oscar). Glad that she if finally on the sesame street bandwagon! Yes - Dora will drive you crazy!

MLP said...

Be on the look out for a large package from Waco, Texas. It will contain plenty of Barney, Wiggles and Dora videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Seriously, my children learned A LOT from Barney. He'll drive you crazy, too!

Cute pics of that little dumplin'!

Kelly said...

OK, so let me get this straight. You can't do Elmo because you are weirded out that his voice is a large African American male. Yet, it is funny stuff that some one is SMOKING on Sesame Street. You really are upside down:) hehehe
I was able to avoid Sesame Street and Barney (neither kid liked them). I have more than my fill of Clifford, Sagwa, Arthur, Mickey Mouse Club, and Pooh!
I was also lucky that neither kid had too much interest in TV until around 20+ months. Although at the time I kinda wished they did (30 minutes of Mama time is a good thing!)

Paige said...

That's right Kimmie, keepin' it real with old school Sesame Street! Whatever happened to Electric Company?! Are Muppets safe? I have a crush on Kermie. (Ooops. Did I just say that out loud?!)

We love and miss you all! I can't believe how big Chloe is getting! She's gorgeous, like her mama.

Paige said...

Ha ha. I was logged into my class blog when I typed that! It's me, Paige (and Arthur).

Jessica said...

Do they have Little Einsteins down under? That's Owen's guilty pleasure, and since it features classical music riffs, mom can stand it too. Can't believe you made it this long on the ex-pat diaper supply!!!

Paola said...

What cute pics of Chloe - I have not tried Sesame street yet. The poor girls watch the Today show with me . . . hehehe

Laura said...

Bella LOVES tv! I remind her when we're watching the Today show (yep, just like Paola) that she's very lucky because Chloe gets to only watch a half hour.
It's a battle I'm not going to fight - daycare has the tv on the entire time! I remind myself that she won't remember this when she's older.